Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 45 minutes Number of Servings: 15
1 pound beets [4 smallish beets], scrubbed
1 cup walnuts
1-3 clove garlic, smashed and peeled
2 teaspoons sherry vinegar or lemon juice
Optional – few fresh herb leaves, such as marjoram or thyme
1 teaspoon salt [or salt to taste]
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup yogurt
- In a small pot of water, covered, over high heat, bring to a boil, down and simmer until they are tender 20-45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in easily. Drain the beets, run cold water over them, then remove skins
- Toast the walnuts at 350 degrees for 5 – 10 minutes. Let them cool
- In a food processor fitted with metal blade, whir together the beets, walnuts, vinegar, optional herbs, and salt. Whir until the mixture looks like a coarse putty.
- With the motor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil, then add the yogurt
- Taste the mixture of salt and tang, adding more salt and vinegar as needed, Bowl and serve with crackers, veggies, or chips.